Ephesus and its surrounding region offer a delectable array of traditional Turkish dishes and local specialties. Here are some recommendations for traditional dishes and restaurants to savor the local cuisine:
- Manti: This is a Turkish version of dumplings. They are typically filled with spiced meat and served with yogurt and garlic sauce. Try them at local restaurants for an authentic taste.
- Kebabs: Turkish kebabs are renowned worldwide. Adana kebab, Şiş kebab, and döner kebab are popular choices. You’ll find them at kebab houses and street vendors.
- Mezes: Turkish mezes are a variety of appetizers that include dishes like eggplant salad, stuffed grape leaves (dolma), and hummus. Enjoy them at traditional restaurants.
- Pide: Turkish pide is a type of flatbread topped with various ingredients, similar to pizza. It’s a satisfying and delicious meal, especially when fresh out of the oven.
- Lahmacun: Often referred to as “Turkish pizza,” lahmacun is a thin, crispy flatbread topped with a spiced meat mixture, herbs, and vegetables.
- Baklava: Satisfy your sweet tooth with baklava, a dessert made of layers of phyllo dough, honey, and nuts. It’s a delightful treat available at pastry shops.
- Mihribat Kofte & Manti: This cozy restaurant in Selçuk is known for its delicious manti, kofte (meatballs), and other Turkish specialties. It’s a great place to sample authentic flavors.
- Uzum Cafe & Restaurant: Located in Şirince, this charming restaurant offers local dishes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients. Don’t miss their vineyard views.
- Saray Restaurant: Situated in Selçuk, Saray Restaurant serves a variety of Turkish dishes, including kebabs, mezes, and seafood. It’s a popular choice for both locals and tourists.
- Ephesus Selçuk Köftecisi: A great place to try köfte, this family-run restaurant in Selçuk offers a simple but delicious menu.
- Mehmet and Ali Baba Kebap House: Located near Ephesus, this kebab house is a favorite for its delectable kebabs and other Turkish specialties.
- Aunt Nalini’s Cookery: For a unique culinary experience, consider taking a cooking class at Aunt Nalini’s. You’ll learn to prepare traditional Turkish dishes and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
- Olive Oil: The region produces high-quality olive oil, and you can find local olive oil products, including soap and cosmetics.
Exploring the culinary scene in Ephesus and its surroundings is an integral part of your experience. Don’t hesitate to try local dishes, indulge in sweet treats, and enjoy the rich flavors of Turkish cuisine at the recommended restaurants and eateries.